Are you earning what you’re worth? Do you have an efficient business growth strategy? Are you positioning yourself to break the profit margins? Are your clients holding you back?
In this series of six workshops – Setting Yourself Up for Success, Chris will share his strategies to build a profitable business, have stronger senior client relationships and grow your success.
Book for the full series or individual workshops:
• The 10 most expensive negotiation mistakes designers make
• Earn more money, more easily, more often
• Increasing your fees and prices – when clients don’t want you to.
• How saying ‘No’ more often will generate more revenue
• Filling the pipeline
• Building client relationships that grow our business
Book your tickets
Workshop 1: The 10 most expensive negotiation mistakes designers make
Friday April 1st, 10am to 11.30am
- What are the classic mistakes we make so easily and repeatedly?
- How much are they costing your business?
- 5 strategies to avoid making those mistakes
- And boost your confidence to grow your business in 2022
Workshop 2: Earn more money, more easily, more often
Wednesday April 6th,10am to 11.30am
- If you run your own business, it’s easy to think the answer is to work longer and harder.
- It’s about working smarter.
- 7 strategies to put more money in your pocket – without working 24/7
- Maybe even taking one Friday afternoon off each month!
Workshop 3: Increasing your fees and prices – when clients don’t want you to
Friday April 29th, 10am to 11.30am
- Why do you need to increase your prices and rates in 2022?
- What stops us from increasing our prices?
- 5 strategies to help you increase your rates and prices
- How will clients respond to increased prices?
- 3 responses to clients pushing back against our prices
Workshop 4: How saying ‘No’ more often will generate more revenue
Wednesday May 18th, 10am to 11.30am
- Not all business is worth having.
- Qualifying opportunities. How do we decide which opportunities to pursue? Is it dangerous to turn down an opportunity?
- How do you say No without upsetting clients?
- Pushing back when clients are being unreasonable – unrealistic budget, ludicrous timings, unrealistic expectations.
Workshop 5: Filling the pipeline
Friday May 27th, 10am to 11.30am
- Every year you will lose a couple of clients, maybe more. These will need to be replaced.
- You should always have a number of business opportunities ‘bubbling away’
- How do we find the right clients and get on their radar?
- Can we generate inbound enquiries?
- Is cold calling a waste of time?
- How can we stand out from the crowd?
Workshop 6: Building client relationships that grow our business
Wednesday June 1st, 10am to 11.30am
Great business comes from great relationships. And great relationships come from great conversations.
- How do we engage with senior clients?
- How do we then stay in touch with them over time?
- How can we build the client’s trust in us?
- Moving from ‘supplier’ to ‘partner’ or trusted adviser
Book your tickets
*Member rate available to private sector members of the IDI, ICAD, IAPI and 100 Archive whose businesses are based in the Republic of Ireland.
About the trainer
Chris Merrington is the founder of Spring 80:20 and one of the UK’s leading creative industry advisors.
Chris helps creative agencies and designers grow profitably, have stronger senior client relationships and become more successful. He’s studied what the most successful and most profitable businesses do to grow, and what the least successful do to stay stuck and uses these insights to help his clients grow.
His book Why do smart people make such stupid mistakes? has been specifically written for agencies and creative businesses to improve their negotiation effectiveness.
He has also produced 2 major studies in collaboration with Moore Kingston Smith (UK top 20 accountants) into agency profitability, success and turning underperforming agencies into those delivering astounding results.
Chris has worked with over 150 agencies and creative businesses in the UK, Europe and the across the rest of the world from the USA to Australia and South Africa. From small businesses to major groups such as Publicis and Omnicom.
His approach is practical and action-orientated, showing you techniques you can apply the next day to improve your business, your success and your revenue.
More events you might like
IDI’s Monthly Forums are all about giving you the opportunity to set your agenda to discuss the topics of most relevance to you with the people who understand most. The IDI’s Forums series give you a safe space to discuss the topics that are most pressing in your field of work, with others in the same position.
Design Management Professional Diploma - Taster Sessions
Join our Design Management Professional Diploma light bite taster events that will give you taster sessions that will give you a chance to experience the programme from a practical viewpoint.
Gail Anderson in conversation with Grace Enemaku
Join us for an intimate discussion between New York-based designer and illustrator Gail Anderson and award-winning Irish designer and illustrator, Grace Enemaku. Together they will discuss career journeys, what it is to be a woman of colour working in design, and how to influence change for good.
Increase Your Profitability - 3 workshops with Chris Merrington
A Chris Merrington’s series of three workshops to ‘Increase Your Profitability. Maximise your profitability and pricing. Get Better Briefs and Budgets. Retain and Grow your Clients. All in 3 x 90-minute workshops.
Better UX Design with AI
An AI + UX Expert hands-on, practical Workshop with Nick Babich showing you how to use AI to become a better designer. Covering the full design lifecycle, from product research to prototype design to usability testing.
Colour Futures: Colour Now, Global & Local Trends
Discover how you can predict the hottest colours in design in 2023 with Dulux Academy Lead, Creative Consultant and interior designer Cora Collins. Gain insights into the process of colour trends and forecasting to market to new and your existing clients and identify the colour trends of 2023.
Professional Diploma in UX Design
A unique 6-month university-accredited programme in UX for Designers and Creatives, combining online learning and live webinars to further develop business skills and build successful careers.
Designs on Growth
An innovative learning and development response providing owner/managers with best practice business management skills to support sustainability and increase revenue in their business.
Design Management Professional Diploma
Developed for busy working professional designers and design function managers (not all design managers are designers) to empower them to take their business and careers to the next level.
Certificate in Design for Sustainability and Circular Economies
Invest in the Future of your design practice and continue your professional development with a Certificate in Design for Sustainability and Circular Economies, delivered by LSAD and accredited by TUS in partnership with Design Skillnet.