Back by demand, Jonathan Kirk will deliver a series of 3 half day workshops in February, March and April 2020, including a 1:1 mentoring session.
Agency Owners & Account Directors – anyone involved with Business Development.
Places are limited to 12, and booking is directly with Design Enterprise Skillnet – register your interest via the form below
Pitching is here to stay. 99% of clients believe that a pitch is good business practice for high value projects so being excellent at pitching has become vital to agency growth and success. This workshop utilises the post-pitch interviews that Up to the Light conducts with clients and the many pitch presentations that they advise upon.
- How pitching and client expectations are changing.
- How to pitch in 10 key stages.
- A client’s perspective – drawing up the shortlist, pitch processes and evaluation, what clients look for, where pitches succeed and fail.
- Structuring your argument, ways to raise audience engagement.
- Ways to win – practical tips and techniques.
Conventional notions of design agency ‘sales’ and ‘selling’ are changing. Many of the old methods have become ineffective and discredited. This workshop explores the most up to date and effective ways to grow your business, from positioning and messaging to business development strategy and tactics.
- Setting out your stall – getting the right positioning and messaging.
- Your claims to fame – looking at your clients and case studies with new eyes.
- Structuring your new business and client development effort – increased focus, meaningful output not just activity.
- Keep in touch strategy – cherishing the people you know, your biggest asset.
- Business development messages and routes to market – evaluating different types of activity.
- Developing action plans that are realistic and achievable.
Arguably, the biggest variable between agencies lies not in levels of creativity but in the quality of their business relationships. Understanding what makes these relationships tick and how they can be strengthened is the key to client retention, development and commitment.
- Setting and aligning expectations at the beginning – starting as we mean to go on.
- Common relationship pitfalls and how to avoid them – drawing on evidence from the hundreds of client interviews that Up to the Light conducts on behalf of design agencies.
- Account management versus true client service.
- Defining your approach to client service.
- Understanding the client journey and anxiety points
- Ways to add value for the client and the agency
About the trainer
Jonathan Kirk is the founder of Up to the Light, a consultancy that advises creative agencies on positioning and strategy, and all aspects of business improvement and growth, challenging some of the ingrained assumptions that exist in our industry and providing effective, insight-led advice.
Jonathan’s senior roles have included Business Development Director of Fitch, the global brand design group, and New Business Director of Havas EHS (now Havas Helia), one of Europe’s largest agency networks. Jonathan is a founder member of the Design Business Association’s Experts Register and is a frequent conference speaker and trade press contributor.
More events you might like
Join us for an information session on the Design for Sustainability and Circular Economies Certificate programme 2024.
Are your digital design skills holding you back? Master the key concepts and techniques of user interface design with this 3-month university-accredited programme in UI for Designers and Creatives, combining online learning and live webinars.
Are your content design skills holding you back? Master the key concepts and techniques of content design with this 10-week university-accredited programme in Content Design for Designers, UX/UI Professional and Creatives, combining online learning and live webinars.
A unique 4-month university-accredited programme in User Research for Designers and Creatives, combining online learning and live webinars to further develop business skills and build successful careers.
A day of exploring design; process, practice and culture with international speakers, panellists, discussions and Q&As for those leading or aspiring to successfully lead design teams and design studios to take a deep dive into the topics that matter most right now.
UX Tree is a mentorship programme focused on career development and the improvement of UX skills for mentors and mentees. The Programme provides guidance and support to mentees in developing or improving their professional skills in the field of UX Design and aims to bridge the gap between education and the workplace.
Join the course trainer Jeannette Naughton of the Designs on Growth programme for information sessions on the programme’s background and context, answer questions on the content, as well as share insights on how it can transform your business.
Invest in the Future of your design practice and continue your professional development with a Certificate in Design for Sustainability and Circular Economies.
If you are interested in securing a place on this course, please fill in the form to the right.